Masterpiece of the Comacini Masters, The Basilica di Sant’Abbondio church is one of the most important examples of the Romasque style in Lombardy. It stands on the site of an early Christian church devoted to SS. Pietro and Paolo, that was the town cathedral.
Standing for learn in Como‘s industrial suburbs, the Basilica di Sant’Abbondio church is a solid Romanesque church raised by Benedictines between 1050 and 1085 on the edge of town
the Basilica di Sant’Abbondio church was built during the XI century and consecrated by Pope Urbano II in 1095. A Benedictine monastery, whose beautiful cloister has been preserved, stood close to it and for many centuries St. Abbondio had been a centre for studies and culture.
The Basilica di Sant’Abbondio church suffered considerable damages during the years, but the restoration works of the XIX and XX centuries gave the church its original aspect. Its façade is divided into declining sectors showing the inside division into aisles and a beautiful apse, which outside is embellished with small columns and small arches. The two church towers represent a Northern stylistic characteristic.
The Basilica di Sant’Abbondio church retains the pair of belltowers and extended choir that architecturally link it the Westkerk style of medieval Germany (though it’s the work of local masons).
The high interior is divided into five aisles ending into the deep presbytery enclosed by the polygonal main apse rich in beautiful frescoes of the 14th century.
Frescoes in the apse of the Basilica di Sant’Abbondio church, Como. The apse was gorgeously frescoed in the 14th century with a comic book of Biblical scenes that, thanks to a restoration, are as vividly colored as day they were painted.
These frescoes depict stories of Christ, dominated by St. Pietro, Our Lady, the Redeemer, John the Baptist and St. Paolo. Among the other 16th century frescoes there are a beautiful Assunta by Cerano and a Miracle of St. Abbondio, probably by the Recchi brothers.
The rather wide altar houses a trio of silver-faced bishops resting in peace side-by-side in their colored robes and clutching mighty shepherd’s staffs.
The Basilica di Sant’Abbondio church is on Via Sant’Abbondio at Via Regina Teodolinda (Via Sant’Abbondonio is the continuation of Via A. Gramsci across Viale Roosevelt (tel. +39- 631-338-8111; www.santabbondio.eu). It is open daily 8am to 6pm (to 4:30pm in winter).