There are several recipes you can prepare apple roses . You can make your own dough or, like I did, use store bought frozen puff pastry. It’s much easier and a lot quicker!
All you have to do is defrost the dough, and stretch it out a bit. You want to make sure it’s not too thick, or it might not cook properly. I spread the dough with apricot preserve, but you could also use peach, plum … or what you like. Slice the apples really thin. Cook to make them softer and easier to work with. And then just have fun with rolling the dough with the apples, like my pictures down here will show you.
And for all the cinnamon lovers out there, don’t forget to sprinkle your apples with as much (or as little) cinnamon as you wish.
You will be surprised by how easy is to make this simply beautiful dessert. Ready to try it out?
Apple Roses Recipe Ingredients: to make 6 roses
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 2 red organic apples (I used red delicious)
- half lemon, juice
- 1 tablespoon of flour, to sprinkle the counter
- 3 tablespoons of apricot preserve
- cinnamon (optional)
- powder sugar for decorating (optional)
Preparation time: about 20 minutes to prepare, plus 45 minutes to bake
1. Thaw the puff pastry if you haven’t done so yet. It should take about 20-30 minutes.
2. Prepare a bowl with some water and the lemon juice. Cut the apples in half, remove the core and cut the apples in paper thin slices, as shown in my picture. Leave the peel so it will give the red color to your roses. Right away, place the sliced apples in the bowl with lemon and water, so that they won’t change color.
3. Microwave the apples in the bowl, for about 3 minutes, to make them slightly softer. If you prefer, you can also simmer the apple slices in the water in a small pan (on the stove).
4. Unwrap the puff pastry over a clean and lightly floured counter. Using a rolling pin stretch the dough a little, trying to keep it in a rectangular shape. Cut the dough in 6 strips. These are about 2 in x 9 in (5 cm x 22 cm).
5. In a bowl, place three tablespoons of apricot preserve with two tablespoons of water. Microwave for about one minute, so that the preserve will be easier to spread. Spread the preserve on the dough.
6. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drain the apples.
7. Place the apples on the dough, as shown in my picture. Sprinkle with cinnamon if you’d like.
8. Fold up the bottom part of the dough.
9. Carefully roll, seal the edge, and place in a silicone muffin cup. No need to grease the muffin mold if it’s silicone. Otherwise, make sure to grease it.
10. Do the same for all 6 roses. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 40-45 minutes, until fully cooked.
NOTE: make sure the pastry is fully cooked on the inside before removing the roses from the oven! If after 30 minutes the apples on top look fully cooked, move the pan to a lower rack in the oven, and wait for 10-15 more minutes to avoid undercooking the puff pastry.